Reporting to the Executive Team, this position is one of the most important to the success of True North Cannabis. In this role the person will be True North Cannabis’s on-site interface with our selected industrial hemp growers. The focus of the job will be to travel between farm locations across central and southern Alberta and some of Saskatchewan to work with designated growers and provide input and perform analysis on identified hemp crops.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, to be utilized both internally and externally.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and analytical with excellent listening, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Comfortable interacting with farmers and farming community.
- Strong background and hands-on experience in industry
- Able to work alone and manage time wisely
- Able to develop test plans and studies to make informed decisions for improved crop quality, harvest timing, and more efficient farming practices.
- Systematic approach to troubleshooting problems
- Able to work on the road for extended periods of time to conduct research, acquire test samples, and solve complex problems.
- Understanding of crop inputs and the impact on quality
- Visiting fields to collect seed, plant, and soil samples and testing samples for nutritional deficiencies, diseases, or other changes
- Keeping detailed records regarding fields, customers, crops, and samples
- Generating reports and presenting findings to management, clients, or other interested parties
Scope of responsibility:
This person will be responsible for working with True North Cannabis’s selected industrial hemp growers to perform analysis and provide input on identified crops. Before harvest, this person will work with the executive team to come up with a work plan and structure to allocate time to our contracted growers. He/she will be responsible to initiate contact with all growers to make schedules and determine timelines to review harvest locations, crop schedules and all crop related information. He/she will be required to perform analysis on crops, taking samples, performing tests and evaluating quality based on certain defined parameters. When not working on the road this person will work on analyzing data, creating reports, communicating with selected and potential growers and clients, and research new technology and advancements in the hemp and cannabis industry.
- Agronomist with a minimum of 3 yrs of experience
- Experience with Industrial hemp and approved cultivar list an asset
- Experience with organic crops
- Valid class 5 drivers license and willing to travel
- Proficient with computers
- Exceptional active listening and verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Awareness of industry trends, technology, and developments.